At Woodhaven Middle School we are proud to offer a strong physical education program to every one of our students! We recognize the numerous benefits of physical activity for adolescents not only on learning, but also for physical and emotional well-being, as well as the opportunity physical education provides to students for development of their social skills.
These are just a few of the reasons why we offer daily physical education to our students. Woodhaven students receive physical education instruction from a dedicated team of experts within our school. Our PE teachers focus exclusively teaching Physical Education to the over 600 students we have in our school! We are proud of their innovative programs such as “Wellness Wednesday” and their incentives such as “Fitness Freak” and “Athlete of the Month” to name just a few. You can find more information about our PE program on their blog.
Providing this daily, high quality programming to our students is not without it’s challenges. Perhaps the most significant challenge is finding the space necessary to provide daily PE to our kids. With only 1 gymnasium to serve 600 students our team must be very flexible!
This year the structure of PE at Woodhaven is as follows:
- students in grade 5 E will be divided to join 5A, 5B, 5C & 5D
- students in grade 6B will be divided to join 6A, 6C, 6D and the Gr 6 MCP PE class
- students in grade 7D will be divided to join 7A, 7B, 7C and the Gr 7 MCP PE class
- students in grade 8A will have PE as a group, as will students in Gr 8B. Students within the gr 5 MCP program will also have PE at this time but will not be integrated with the grade 8 students.
- students in grade 9 (including MCP) will be divided into 2 girls classes and 2 boys classes
Should you have any questions about the structure of our Physical Education program, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s homeroom teacher, Mr. Patras or Mrs. Kronewitt.
We are excited for another great year of fun and development for all of our students.
Mr. S. Patras
Principal, Woodhaven Middle School