As a parent of a Grade 9 Woodhaven Middle School student, you are likely aware that our Farewell is coming soon! It’s hard to believe that staff and students have been planning for months already but these efforts are paying off. We are beginning to see this event take shape. The intent of this blog post is to provide some basic information about Farewell, while recognizing that there are still details to be sorted out by teachers and students.
If your questions aren’t answered in this post, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s home room teacher or Mr. Patras at the School.
WHO (‘s coming?)
- All grade 9 students in our mainstream and Maranatha Christian Program, staff and families
- Based on space within our school gym, each student will be able to purchase tickets for up to 3 guests
WHAT (‘s happening?)
- The formal program is typically about 1 hour in length
- Students and Gr 9 Teachers will identify a teacher(s) to MC the event for our kids
- Generally there are a few fun stories about our kids, some reminiscing and lots of laughs. Much of the fun is provided by the baby pictures that each student is asked to provide for the slide show.
- After the program parents, staff, and students are invited into the Multipurpose room for some light snacks and refreshments.
- Students and staff are exploring additional opportunities for this evening for our students. In the past, students have enjoyed a Photo Booth which they are again considering for this year.
- Based on low student interest, there will NOT be a dance for the Farewell. When surveyed, 60% of students reported they would likely attend the dance. Since that time, we have seen very low turn out at school based dances. It appears that our students have other plans for that evening which we certainly want to honour.
WHERE (is everything happening?)
- The formal program is hosted within the school gym.
- Refreshments and socializing is hosted in the multipurpose room.
WHEN (is the event?)
- Friday, May 26th, 2017 – 6:00 p.m. – approximately 8:30 p.m. (students are expected to arrive at 5:30 p.m.).
- We know that it’s important for students, parents and staff to be able to celebrate the relationships that have been built over the past year(s) with our students. We have an amazing group of grade 9 kids, with so many stories to tell! It will be an evening of fun, celebration and one dedicated to recognizing the amazing kids that we will be sending to their next adventure in High School!
WHAT ELSE (do I need to know?)
- Students are still working with their teachers to identify a theme for their Farewell
- The cost of tickets is still to be determined, and will be finalized when students and staff determine if there will be a photo booth or other event within the evening. In previous years, the cost of a similar Farewell program has ranged from $10-$15/ticket.
- Parents will receive an email from their child’s home room teacher indicating when tickets go on sale. Up to three tickets will be reserved for each family (Gr 9 Woodhaven students celebrating their farewell do not require a ticket) to be purchased at the school office. These tickets will remain reserved for each family for approximately two weeks. After that time if there are any extra tickets they will be made available for purchase at the school office on a first come, first – served basis. The appropriate dates for ticket sales will be communicated in an email to all parents by the home room teachers.
- While we greatly appreciate those parents who have indicated that they are interested in fundraising, based on the anticipated cost of this Farewell, we will not be fundraising this year.
We are really excited to be able to celebrate a great year with our students, and you …. their families in just a few months. Please do not hesitate to contact your child’s home room teacher or Mr. Patras with any additional questions you may have as we prepare for a great evening.
Mr. S. Patras
Principal, Woodhaven Middle School