We are excited at EMHS to be able to offer basketball as an extracurricular activity for our students in the upcoming weeks. While we can’t run a typical “Basketball Season” given the current Covid Restrictions, we can provide an opportunity for our kids in grades 6-9 to get some exercise, learn the game and have fun with friends!
Keeping in mind the various protocols and restrictions from AHS, there will be several structures in place for our teams. Please read on to learn more.
- Cohorts/teams will be made up of 9 players and one coach. Players will all be from the same grade level (e.g. gr 7) but may be from different classes
- Students may NOT be part of another extracurricular cohort. e.g. A student cannot be on a cheer team AND EMHS basketball
- Players will sign in each time they attend a practice
- Players will sanitize their hands before and after each practice
- Basketballs will be sanitized after each practice
- Cohorts will not be mixed. One cohort (e.g. gr 7) may be on one side of the gym while the other cohort (e.g. gr 8) will be on the other side of the gym with the curtain down.
- Players will wear masks into and out of the gym, but will not be required to wear them while playing
- Coaches will wear masks at all times
- Change rooms will be accessible if necessary (kids will be encouraged to dress for the activity so they do not need to change) but with very limited capacity
- Physical Distancing – students will be 3m apart while receiving instructions, participating in drills etc.
- Drills/Games – will be selected and modified to support the physical distancing expectations. Students will not be playing 3vs3, 5vs5 etc. as defending would not allow for appropriate physical distancing. Alternate activities around ball handling, passing and shooting will be used.
Should your child in grades 6-9 be interested in participating, he/she needs to sign up with his/her homeroom teacher no later than this Friday, February 26th. As we gauge interest, cohorts will be established and students will come home with a permission form. The only cost for this opportunity will be the cost of the team jersey that students will keep at the end of the activity. We anticipate this cost to be approximately $10.
We are looking forward to lots of skill development and fun with our kids.
Mr. S. Patras
Principal, Ecole Meridian Heights School